I am writing as a newly 25 year old and it is the best combination of beautiful and scary, kinda like a Flo music video. My friends and I spent the weekend at Big Bear Lake, a sleepy mountain town that combines looming rock formations with kayaks, fire pits, and (in the winter time) snow slopes. We found our way out their just as the temperature began to drop, and the crisp mountain air made the smell of bbq and leaves strong and lovely.
birthday highlights included:
- finding cider with rachel
- shimmying into rock crevices in order to make it up to the tippy top of the mountain
- cuddlephobic rachel accepting my request to share a bed (which was cali king size, and awesome)
- cutting a hot pink cake with a machete
- my favorite ihop breakfast
- tattoo #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- fajitas and free margs
- back porch coffee
- driving through chilly mountains to procure aforementioned coffee
- rooting for not your father's root beer
And things are changing, dear friends! On October 9th I will be waving goodbye to the golden slopes and smoggy pink skies of Los Angeles in order to tour around the midwest and get dirty in some road theatre. I'll also be working as an editor with Wanderlust, so check that out! As for this blog, I'll pop in with travels and wordplay muses now moreso than foodstuffs. Because as much as I LOVE to eat and cook and break bread, I also don't like standing with a camera over my food for twenty minutes. It gets cold and that makes me sad. I'd rather just slice a cake with a giant knife, stain the most innerdepths of my fingernails with neon-pink-fairy-blood-frosting, and see what happens.
I can't wait to dive headfirst into hotel room living, sipping below average coffee and bundling up each morning to brave the autumnal chill of the midwest. Get ready, friends. Cozy caravan is getting literal.